2017-18 Eugene and Millicent Goldschmidt Graduate Student Award
Deadline: September 15, 2017
The Texas Branch of the American Society for Microbiology announces the 2017-18 Eugene and Millicent Goldschmidt Graduate Student Award for female graduate students studying microorganisms in their thesis research. There will be two awards of $9,000 given during the 2017-2018 academic year.
Scholarship applicants must be:
- Female, U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and not a previous recipient of the award
- Member of the American Society for Microbiology and Texas Branch – American Society for Microbiology (Applicants can join both the national ASM and Texas Branch ASM via a link at: http://www.asm.org/index.php/membership/join-asm.html)
- Show potential for a career in microbiology
- Currently enrolled in an MS or PhD program and not defended their thesis at the time of award announcement in April 2018.
- Per ASM definitions, the term “microorganisms” includes bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and fungi
Application package must include:
- Letter of application, electronic reprints of publications (if applicable), and CV from the candidate
- Description of current thesis research, career plans, and plans for use of the award funds to enhance your research and career
- At least two letters of support must be sent separately from the application directly to
Dr. Lee Hughes, President of the ASM Texas Branch at Lee.Hughes@unt.edu. One of these letters must be from the applicant’s current thesis advisor.
The recipient will receive her award in two installments and will be required to submit a six-month progress report and final report to the Texas Branch ASM President. Receipt of the second installment is contingent upon receipt of a satisfactory progress report. In addition, the recipient will be required to make a scientific presentation of her work at one of the Texas Branch ASM Meetings within a year of receiving the award.
Applications must be sent electronically as PDF files to Dr. Lee Hughes, President of the ASM Texas Branch at Lee.Hughes@unt.edu